Former President Donald Trump plans to return to social media in the coming months with his own platform, a Trump adviser told Fox News on Sunday.
Jason Miller, a former Trump administration senior adviser, told Fox News’s Mediabuzz that Trump would be “returning to social media in probably about two or three months” with “his own platform.” Miller added that Trump’s platform would attract “tens of millions” of new users and “completely redefine the game.”
“This is something that I think will be the hottest ticket in social media,” Miller said. “It’s going to completely redefine the game and everybody is going to be waiting and watching to see what President Trump does, but it will be his own platform.”
Trump was essentially banished from the most popular social media platforms in January. Twitter and Facebook blocked President Donald Trump from posting on their sites after his supporters stormed the US Capitol, sparking violence and halting the process to certify the election of President Joe Biden. Snapchat also took action and locked Trump’s account.
The actions came amid an increasingly urgent clamor for the social networks to deal with the president’s use of their platforms to spread misinformation, stir grievance and incite violence. Before the bans were announced, Trump posted several messages to Twitter and Facebook that included baseless claims about election fraud. A video of Trump repeating those claims was removed from both platforms out of concern it would contribute to more violence.
During his four years as president, Trump was a notoriously provocative tweeter who redefined politics by using Twitter to sidestep official channels and traditional media. Twitter frequently left up to Trump posts with content that breaks its rules against things like abusive behavior or glorifying violence, reasoning that they were in the public interest.
Twitter eventually began obscuring Trump’s tweets containing misinformation about the election and coronavirus with a warning label that included a link to more information or context. Users would have to click a View link in the alert label to read the post.
Twitter Chief Financial Officer Ned Segal said last month that Trump’s ban would stay in place, even if he ran for office again.
“Our policies are designed to make sure that people are not inciting violence, and if anybody does that we have to remove them from the service and our policies don’t allow people to come back,” Segal said.
Throughout his presidency, Trump had a contentious relationship with social media giants, complaining that social media sites demonstrate a bias against conservative voices. In 2018, he accused Twitter of shadow banning conservatives. Twitter said it was a bug. Shadowbanning refers to the practice of making a comment or post visible only to the user who created it.News Source: CNET