Introduction to Google Meet
Google Meet, previously known as Google Hangouts Meet, is Google’s video conferencing software, offered as part of G Suite. It supports far more participants and can be accessed at meet.google.com. It is a collaboration platform, for those who are on distributed teams or who are working from home. Furthermore, it integrates seamlessly with other G Suite apps like Gmail and Calendar, to send invitations and schedule future Meet sessions. Currently, only paid G Suite subscribers can schedule Google Meet sessions, but Meet will be free through the summer, as per Google’s recent announcement. Moreover, professionals rely on video conferencing apps to meet official requirements. As per recent reports, Google’s daily usage of Meet has grown by 30x since January. Furthermore, it is hosting 3 billion minutes of video meetings as of May.
Free Integration With Gmail
Google recently made Meet available free for everyone in the wake of the coronavirus. Google Meet is now available in Gmail and anyone with a Google account can sign up for Google Meet to make video calls and try out features. Such as scheduling meetings, screen sharing, real-time captions, and layouts. As per the recent announcement, every user will be able to avail Meet for free until September 30, 2020. Google’s email service is now able to make and receive video calls directly through Meet from the inbox. The Google Meet tab is available between Gmail folder categorization and Hangout chat options. Switching between email and video meetings will be quicker. This feature is currently available only for web browsers. As per Google, a mobile app version will be launched soon.
Guided Steps to Conduct Meetings
How to start a meeting?
You can start a meeting on Google Meet using the Meet tab in the Gmail web interface or by signing in at meet.google.com with your email ID. Steps to start a meeting:
- Click on the ‘Start a meeting’ option.
- A new window will open and your device camera will be enabled automatically.
- A meeting link will be generated along with a dial-in number and PIN.
- Send these details to the contacts you want to invite.
- Turn on the meeting caption from settings by clicking on the three dots next to the video screen.
How to join a Google Meet meeting?
By clicking on ‘Join a meeting’ option, the Google Meet meeting room will be opened as you enter the Meeting code provided by the meeting host. You can alternatively turn on and off the video and audio by clicking on the options displayed on the screen.
How to schedule a meeting on PC/Laptop?
- Open Google Calendar in your web browser.
- Click on the Create + button on the top left corner.
- Click ‘Add Google Meet’ video conferencing and add participants to the meeting.
- To add notes, make this a repeat invitation, or arrange for private meeting rooms. and click on the More options button.
- Once done, click ‘Save’.
- To send the meeting invitation via email to the guests, click the ‘Send’ option.
How to schedule a meeting on mobile/tablet?
- Open the Google Calendar app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the multicolored + button at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap on ‘Event’.
- Scroll down, and tap ‘Add conferencing’.
- Tap Google Meet.
- Schedule a time, add participants, and set notification reminders.
How to schedule a meeting on Google Calendar?
- Click the desired time slot and select ‘Create’. An event will be added to your calendar. Select ‘Edit Event’ to open the meeting details. To add a recurring meeting, click the ‘Repeat’ option below the meeting date and time. Set the recurring pattern and modify the date and time accordingly.
- The ‘GoToMeeting’ extension will be displayed under Event details. Login to your GoToMeeting account. You will need to approve access to your GoToMeeting profile if this is your first time logging in through Google Calendar. For this request, select ‘Allow’.
- Select ‘Add’ to link your GoToMeeting account to this event. Pre-populated session information for the meeting (including links and dial-in numbers) will display in the ‘Description’ field. These are country-wise.
- Invite attendees by adding their email addresses in the ‘Guest’ field.
How to edit a meeting via Google Calendar?
- You can easily update the audio settings or add a co-organizer to any session via Google Calendar. All saved edits will be automatically updated.
- Select the desired meeting and click the ‘Edit’ icon to launch the Edit Options window.
- Choose the ‘Audio’ tab and edit audio options.
- Search for and add co-organizers within your GoToMeeting account.
How to record meetings on Google Meet?
- Click the icon with three vertical dots.
- Click on ‘Record meeting’ option on the menu for recording
- To stop recording, click on the three vertical dots again and select the ‘Stop recording’ option.
- Google Meet recordings are saved to your Google Drive in a folder called “Meet Recordings”.
New Features of Google Meet
Now more than ever, businesses are relying on video conferencing. The following updated features on Google Meet for all G Suite customers will improve the quality of meetings:
Expanded Tile View layout: This feature enables users to view up to 16 people at a time. It makes virtual meetings more inclusive and facilitates collaborative viewing.
Noise cancellation: With more technical advancements, Google has made updates to improve audio quality during meetings.
Low-light mode: This feature uses Google AI to adjust video automatically, so you are more visible to other participants in low-light settings.
High-quality video content: There is now an option to present a Chrome tab. Presenting a Chrome tab shares the audio on that tab by default So, if you have remote viewers and you need to share a video, this is the best option.
As per recent technology reports, Google Meet has crossed 50 million downloads on Play Store. Moreover, a massive 900 percent increase in user base in the last few weeks. The platform is currently hosting 3 billion minutes of video meetings and adding 3 million new users every day. As per Google, ‘G Suite for Education’ tools can be used from any device and help more than 120 million teachers and students around the world. Google is also providing its G-Suite Essentials for free until September 2020 with access to dial-in phone numbers, larger meetings, and meeting recording. Users can use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides for content creation and real-time collaboration for teams while remotely working from home.